Yet another “not entirely obvious” VMware thing 🙂
If you want to use the VMware vCenter Converter from within the vSphere Client you need to:
- Install vCenter Converter on the vSphere vCenter Server (It’s an option on the vSphere vCenter installer)
- Now log onto your vSphere Client and go to:
- Plugins > Manage Plugins > Install vCenter Converter Client
- Once installed, right click on any ESX host, or ESX Cluster and choose “Import Machine…” from the bottom of the context menu.
- That’s it. The vCenter Converter wizard will then pop up 🙂
Note: This is tested and working on VMware vSphere 4.1. Let us know how you get on with other versions of vSphere! 🙂