Here’s how I got Kismet running on Ubuntu on my Asus W3V laptop.
Whilst studying for the Linux+ Exam just now, something hit me. If you ever run out of SATA/PATA ports on a system, you could just add more drives on the USB bus. this would be nice for the new RAID5 set up. Granted there’s the physical space/storage issues, but it’s still properly accessible storage. I wonder if mdadm would support the hot-plugability of USB in a RAID array. Hmmm… that would be very cool.
If you follow this blog, you’ll know that I recently setup an Ubuntu box running Samba with a 2.7TB Raid5 array. Its job is to replace one of our 300GB Dell PowerVault 715N NAS boxes which has become full.
Finding files on our previous 300GB PowerVault was nothing short of a nightmare and, with such a vast amount of data on the new system, we have to ensure that information won’t get ‘lost’ as easily. Obviously proper structuring of directories through a bit of Information Architecture will help, but what we really need is a search facility.
As a small company with a limited budget, the search facility has to be affordable. In addition, it needs to be easily accessible to everyone in the network, preferably without installing extra applications onto client systems…
Couldn’t really find anyone who’d documented setting up a RAID 5 array with Linux and mdadm, so figured I’d jot down the method I used in Ubuntu 6.10. It basically boils down to four commands (I am assuming you have a fresh install):
sudo apt-get install mdadm
sudo mdadm --create /dev/md0 --raid-devices=5 /dev/sd[abcde]1 --level=raid5
sudo mke2fs -j /dev/md0
sudo mount /dev/md0 /mnt/raid
To explain a little:
The first command installs mdadm.
The second command creates the raid array /dev/md0, then sets how many disks – and their respective locations – there’ll be in the array. In my case, we have 5 750GB drives, which are /dev/sda through to /dev/sde. The 1 is the partition identifier. Level sets the raid level, which in this case is raid5.
The third command ‘
sudo mke2fs -j /dev/md0 ‘ makes an ext3 filesystem on the array.
And finally ‘
sudo mount /dev/md0 /mnt/raid‘ mounts the array to /mnt/raid (you can mount it wherever you like)
Note 1: Make sure you have mdadm installed. If you don’t:
sudo apt-get install mdadm
Note 2: If you’re not using Ubuntu, su to root and run the commands without ‘sudo’
Note 3: If you get an error stating ‘mdadm: error opening /dev/md0: No such file or directory’, you need to bypass udev and use this command instead:
sudo mdadm --create /dev/md0 --raid-devices=5 /dev/sd[abcde]1 --level=raid5 --auto=yes
Note 4: To view the status of your array:
sudo mdadm --detail /dev/md0
Note 5: If you need to view a list of your hard drives, try these commands:
ls -l /dev/sd* or
ls -l /dev/hd*
I am certainly no Linux expert. Corrections, and suggestions on how to improve this method are encouraged 🙂
Update: There’s a very thorough guide here, but it seems to cover some GUI elements – which wasn’t an option for me.
Our 64-bit 1and1 Dedicated Server shipped with German as the default language on the CLI. Dead handy when you’re trying to troubleshoot…
I thought I’d found a solution by changing the Bash language but it broke some stuff (including yum) so I went back to the default and put up with it. By chance, whilst browsing around atomicrocketturtle.com, I found Scott had fixed the same problem far more elegantly:
Here a quick step-by-step guide for FC4, on the 64-bit systems:
- Login as root (or su)
- Backup your yum.conf file:
cp /etc/yum.conf /etc/yum.conf.YYYY-MM-DD
- Edit your /etc/yum.conf file
- Comment out the entries in your yum.conf which feature ‘update.onlinehome-server.info’. That server doesn’t work right now, and by commenting them out, yum will resort to the defaults in /etc/yum.repo.d
- Save yum.conf
yum install system-config-language
- You’ll be asked to confirm. Now, let it install…
- To change the language, run this from the command line:
- Scroll up and choose English (British) (or whatever language you want).
- Hit the Tab key to switch to “OK”
- Hit return.
- Ta-da, English language feedback 🙂
For reference, your yum.conf should look something like this: yum.conf.txt