Windows XP won’t hibernate: Insufficient System Resources Exist to Complete the API

After upgrading my laptop to 1.5GB of RAM, it began to frequently refuse to Hibernate, giving an error message in the system tray reading: “Insufficient System Resources Exist to Complete the API”.

Digging around, I found this Microsoft Knowledgebase article, along with a patch, which, insanely, isn’t available on Windows Update. Grr!

It seems the problem is caused due to the fact that when instructed to hibernate, XP has to find contiguous free space equal to the amount of RAM installed in the system. Naturally, as RAM increases, this becomes harder. Why on earth it’s incapable of using non-contiguous space is beyond me…but maybe that’s what the patch solves ๐Ÿ™‚

Windows XP wonโ€™t hibernate: Insufficient System Resources Exist to Complete the API

After upgrading my laptop to 1.5GB of RAM, it began to frequently refuse to Hibernate, giving an error message in the system tray reading: “Insufficient System Resources Exist to Complete the API”.

Digging around, I found this Microsoft Knowledgebase article, along with a patch, which, insanely, isn’t available on Windows Update. Grr!

It seems the problem is caused due to the fact that when instructed to hibernate, XP has to find contiguous free space equal to the amount of RAM installed in the system. Naturally, as RAM increases, this becomes harder. Why on earth it’s incapable of using non-contiguous space is beyond me…but maybe that’s what the patch solves ๐Ÿ™‚

Strange network behaviour on XP

This is a curiousity rather than a true solution. This morning, on booting his PC, a colleague found his PC refused to browse websites and (apparently) would not connect to any network shares, yet it could FTP to an external website and ping/tracert google.com. After booting XP, and entering user details (“loading your personal settings…”) the system would idle until the network cable was pulled from the NIC. The only thing which changed is that I installed VMWare Server Console on the system the day before (not the server itself, so it shouldn’t have added virtual NICs or messed with settings).

I solved the problem by uninstalling the NIC driver and letting it re-install after a reboot, but I’d love to know what may have caused the issue!

Enable ssh root login on Cobalt RAQs

To enable root logins via SSH on a Cobalt RAQ, edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and change “PermitRootLogin” to “yes”.

I needed to do this to allow Plesk to login to our old servers during the big migration, as it can’t login as admin, then su to root ๐Ÿ™

SpamAssassin: Can’t locate Mail/SPF/Query.pm

If you have SpamAssassin installed and see “Can't locate Mail/SPF/Query.pm in @INC...” in your error logs, you need to install Mail::SPF::Query.

SpamAssassin uses SPF to detect header and email-source forgery – very important in determining if e-mail is legitimate or not.

To install Mail::SPF::Query, run these commands as root:

perl -MCPAN -e shell
install Mail::SPF::Query

If you haven’t yet added SPF records to your DNS, you can find out more at the Sender Policy Framework site