Some brief notes on how to change the source UNC path in a GPSI GPO
Instructions are for Server 2008.
Backup the GPO…
- Open up “Group Policy Management” console
- Find the GPO with the GPSI source UNC you’d like to change
- Right click it, choose “Backup”
- Back up the GPO a directory, eg C:\GPOs\
Now we need to edit the GPO and change the UNC…
- In the GPMC left-hand pane, click on Domains
- In the GPMC toolbar, click on Actions, then Open Migration Table Editor
- In the Migration Table Editor, click on “Tools” then “populate from Backup”
- Choose the backup you want to change
- In the Table Editor, change the Destination name to the new UNC path
- Now we need to save the migration table.
- Click File, Save.
- Save the file as something meaningful, preferably in C:\GPOs\
Now we need to apply the new settings…
- Go back to the Group Policy Management Console
- Find the GPO you need to change and Right-click on it
- Choose “Import Settings…”
- Click Next twice.
- Browse to your backup folder (C:\GPOs)
- Confirm the GPO backup whose settings you want to import, then click next.
- After the scan is complete, click Next
- Now we need to apply the Migration Table mapping:
- Choose “Using this migration table…”
- Browse to your migration table settings that you saved earlier.
- Now click Next, and then Finish
- That’s it! 🙂