Update: This page was completely updated in January 2016. Links were fixed, and new links were added.
Scope and overview
This post covers a selection of free IT training that I’ve found on my travels. Topics are diverse, and include areas like: Virtualization and Cloud, Networking, Security, Linux, Storage systems, PowerShell, to Programming and Database fundamentals.
I believe that as IT Professionals, the more aspects of IT that we understand and appreciate, the better we’re able to meet the needs of business. I’d really like this to evolve into a community resource for anyone who wants to diversify their IT knowledge. If you’ve found other free IT training or resources that aren’t mentioned here, please feel free to mention it in the comments and I’ll endeavour to add it (I’m particularly interested in official training from vendors).
If you’re left wondering where on earth you’re going to get time to study all this, remember that it only takes about 20 hours to pick up a subject/skill, and that’s merely a month of Lunch-times!
Virtualization and Cloud
- Data Center Virtualization (vSphere 6)
- Software-Defined Storage (aka VSAN)
- VMware Cloud Fundamentals
- VMware Data Center Virtualization Fundamentals (vSphere 5.5)
- Introduction to Hyper-V (Microsoft Virtual Academy)
- Virtualizing Your Data Center with Hyper-V and System Center (Microsoft Virtual Academy)
- System Center 2012 Virtual Machine Manager (Microsoft Virtual Academy)
- Microsoft Virtualization for VMware Professionals Jump Start (Microsoft Virtual Academy)
- OpenStack Basics – Overview (YouTube)
- OpenStack Training Guides (from OpenStack)
- Couch to OpenStack: Main page (from Cody Bunch, Trevor Roberts Jr, Scott Lowe, and Eric Wright)
- Couch to OpenStack: Compiled list of sessions (thanks to Nick Marshall for compiling)
- Getting Started with PowerShell (Microsoft Virtual Academy)
- Advanced Tools and Scripting with PowerShell (Microsoft Virtual Academy)
Programming and Databases
- Software Development Fundamentals (Microsoft Virtual Academy)
- Fundamentals of Lean Software Delivery (Microsoft Virtual Academy)
- Python for Beginners (Codecademy)
- Database Fundamentals (Microsoft Virtual Academy)
- DevOps: an IT Pro Guide (Microsoft Virtual Academy
Very useful for keeping IT systems configuration in sync with internal standards, as well as automation of routine tasks/etc.
- Puppet Workshop Course Library (Puppet Labs)
- Networking Fundamentals [~8 hours] (Microsoft Virtual Academy)
- Understanding TCP/IP (Cisco Learning Network)
- Cisco IT Training Videos (Cisco Learning Network)
- #vBrownBag Cisco Certification Track (#vBrownbag)
- Free Short Course: Cisco CCNA (itmasters.edu.au)
- Free Short Course: CISSP Security Certification (itmasters.edu.au)
- Security Fundamentals (Microsoft Virtual Academy)
- Free Short Course: Network Security Administrator Certification (itmasters.edu.au)
NetApp have an incredible range of Web-Based courses available for free, but you will need to register for an account (Choose a Guest account if you’re not a customer). Also, be careful with “free email addresses”. NetApp seem to verify your account and if it comes from a hotmail or gmail account, will not allow it access. I find this a slight aberration, as they allow access for Guests who don’t have NetApp systems, who could be future paying customers. I had success with an @outlook.com account, but your mileage may vary.
- Full range of NetApp Web-Based courses
- Storage Fundamentals (NetApp)
- Introduction to NetApp Products (NetApp)
- Clustered Data ONTAP Fundamentals (NetApp)
- Data ONTAP 7-Mode Fundamentals (NetApp)
- Performance Analysis on Data ONTAP Fundamentals (NetApp)
Full list here. But some of these are only available to customers and partners! Anything I list below is available to anyone (i.e. non-customers) for free.
Backup and Recovery
- Backup and Recovery Fundamentals (from EMC, but not EMC-specific)
Microsoft Client, Server and Office
- Windows Server 2012 Technical Overview (Microsoft Virtual Academy)
- Free Short Course: Windows Server 2012 (itmasters.edu.au)
- Upgrading Skills from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2012 Jump Start (Microsoft Virtual Academy)
- Preparing for the Windows 8.1 MCSA (Microsoft Virtual Academy)
System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) 2012
- System Center 2012: Configuration Manager (Microsoft Virtual Academy)
- Understanding Active Directory (Microsoft Virtual Academy)
- Organising and Sharing with OneNote Jump Start (Microsoft Virtual Academy)
- Eric Wright has a list of learning resources here: http://discoposse.com/links/
- Class Central – Computer Science courses
2016-01-18: Added a link to Docker training, via @aaronbuley
2016-01-14: Added a link to EMC Isilon training. Fixed some more broken links, everything should be fully up to date now.
2016-01-04: Fixed a bunch of broken VMware links; Added a link to Eric’s site, and to Class-Central (thanks to @cody_bunch)
2014-10-23: Added EMC Hybrid Cloud with VMware Fundamentals e-Learning, with thanks to Christopher Kusek
2014-07-31: Added Puppet Workshop Course Library, and a new section for Configuration Management/Automation, with thanks to Brian Trainor.
2014-07-26: Added a note about signing up for a NetApp account
2014-07-20: Added: Understanding TCP/IP from Cisco Learning to Networking section. SCCM 2012, Active directory, and upskill from Server 2008 to 2012 courses to Microsoft section.
2014-07-16: Added a link to a compiled list of Couch to OpenStack sessions, thanks to Nick Marshall for compiling!
2014-07-14: Added Security, Networking and Windows Server courses by itmaster.edu.au. Added Linux resources: Introduction to Linux Course, by eDX and some videos from the Linux Foundation.